ISSUANCE OF MOUNTAINEERING/TREKKING PERMITS FOR
a) Two types of Tourism Permits issued by Gilgit-Baltistan Council Secretariat in respect of foreign tourists for Peaks/Treks located in Restricted Areas of Gilgit- Baltistan:
i. Climbing Permit
ii. Trekking Permit
b) Documents Required:
• All applications for climbers/trekkers in respect of foreign tourists for the Peaks/Treks located in Gilgit-Baltistan are submitted in Gilgit-Baltistan Council Secretariat through designated tour operators registered with Department of Tourist Services Government of Pakistan including 7 sets of following documents:
• Application from tour operator on their letter head
• Application form for mountaineering expedition
• Name list of members of expedition
• Route map of proposed peak/trek
• Passport copies of members of expedition
• Visa application form of foreign climbers/trekkers
• CV of Expedition members
• Copy of license of tour operator company
Procedure and Process:
• After receipt of complete application from tour operator company, the same is forwarded to following departments/agencies:
i. Directorate General of Inter-Services Intelligence (For security clearance/ visa issuance) Time required: 4-6 weeks as per existing Pak Visa Regime
ii. Directorate of Intelligence Bureau (For security clearance/ visa issuance) Time required: 4-6 weeks as per existing Pak Visa Regime iii. Directorate of Military Intelligence, GHQ (For Route clearance) Time required: 4 weeks iv. Directorate of Military Training, GHQ (For detailing of defense liaison officer if expedition route falls in restricted zone) Time required: 4 weeks
• Depositing of Royalty Fees in Gilgit-Baltistan Council Account as per following detail:
i. National Bank of Pakistan S Block, Pak Secretariat, Islamabad
ii. Account # 1975-7
1. Zero royalty fee for peak upto 6500-M
2. 10% royalty fee on mountains situated in Gilgit, and Ghizer except on Spantik/Golden Peak.
3. 05% royalty fee on all peaks during winter season (December-February)
4. 40% Discount on royalty fee on all peaks except as mentioned in (i) & (ii) above as detailed below:-
Mountain Mountain Royalty Fee for the Year
(Amount in US $)
Full team of
Seven members Each Additional
1. K-2 (8611-M) 7200 1200
2. 8001-8500-M 5400 900
3. 7501-8000-M 2400 300
4. 7001-7500-M 1500 180
5. 6501-7000-M 900 120
• Depositing of Waste Management Fees in case the area located in Central Karakorum National Park (CKNP) in the account of CKNP as per following detail:
5. Habib Metropolitan Bank, Jutial Branch, Gilgit
6. Account #: 6-02-86-20311-714-104814
7. IBAN Account #: PK91MPBL0286027140104814
8. Environment Fee/Waste Management Fee will be 68 US$ for each member of mountaineering expedition.
9. Trekking Fee will be 50 US$ per person for one month. However, 50 US$ will be charged as Waste Management Fee per person for one month.
Issuance of Climbing/Trekking Permit:
• After receipt of all clearances from above mentioned agencies and depositing of royalty fees, Gilgit-Baltistan Council Secretariat issues Climbing/Trekking permit.
c) Flow chart for Issuance of Climbing/Trekking Permits in Gilgit- Baltistan
d) Information regarding status of application, while they are being processed can be obtained from Tourism Section of Gilgit-Baltistan Council Secretariat.
e) The process of issuance of Climbing/Trekking Permits is available on the website of Gilgit-Baltistan Council www.gbcouncil.com.